We’ve just set up a new dedicated server at some hosting provider, running Windows 2008 Server R2 and IIS7.5.
Sometimes the site works, sometimes, part of the site runs and I can see a 403 error in Firebug. At other times, I only get an IIS error page saying:
“403 – Forbidden: Access is denied. You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.”
This information was not enough to troubleshoot this problem so I checked IIS log files for HTTP STATUS CODE 403. I found some lines like this:
#Fields: date time s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query s-port cs-username c-ip cs(User-Agent) sc-status sc-substatus sc-win32-status time-taken
2011-04-26 14:03:41 xx.xx.xx.xx GET /Calificaciones/Calificaciones.aspx – 80 – yy.yy.yy.yy Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+7.0;+Windows+NT+5.2;+WOW64;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727;+.NET+CLR+3.0.04506.30;+.NET+CLR+3.0.04506.648;+.NET+CLR+3.0.4506.2152;+.NET+CLR+3.5.30729) 403 502 0 249
So I got HTTP STATUS CODE 403, SUB STATUS CODE 502. Searching for this on Google I found this page:
This gave me some light on the problem and I began to search for IP filtering on IIS configuration settings.
1. Open ISS Manager.
2. Go to your website.
3. Go to Features/IIS/Dynamic IP Restrictions.
4. Set the appropiate values or disable restrictions. In my case, I doubled former values and it’s working like a charm rigth now.